I have already registered the name of my limited company with the Companies Registry. Can I use the registered company name as a trademark? Will my company name be protected as a registered trademark automatically?
Company registration and trademark registration in Hong Kong serve different purposes. They are regulated by different laws and registration systems administered by different government departments. The Companies Registry is responsible for the registration of local limited companies and companies incorporated outside Hong Kong which have established a place of business in Hong Kong, while the Trade Marks Registry administered by the Intellectual Property Department ( www.ipd.gov.hk/eng/trademarks.htm ) is responsible for the registration of trademarks. Having the name of a limited company registered with the Companies Registry does not automatically confer on the company the right to use its name as a trademark in promoting or dealing in goods and services. You have to file an application with the Trade Marks Registry for trademark registration in order to obtain the protection under the Trade Marks Ordinance (Cap. 559).
Relative articles :
- How to determine if a company name is the same as another?
- How can I know whether the company name I intend to use is the same as a name appearing in the Index of Company Names kept by the Registrar of Companies?
- Can I use both English letters and Chinese characters in a company name?
- Can I use simplified Chinese characters in the Chinese company name of a local company?
- Is it possible to register a company with a Chinese name only?
- Can an English company name end with the word "Ltd"?
- How can a company change its name after incorporation?
- What will be the consequences if a company fails to comply with the change of name direction issued by the Registrar of Companies?
- Am I free to choose any name I want for my company?
ORDER WITH CONFIDENCE
- Integrity, Honesty, Trust-worthiness, Saving time.
- In Depth Business Expertise.
- Competitive price policy
- Quickly process within 1-3 working days
- Strong Alliance Network & Relationships
- Keeping Clients Well Informed